Cosmetic Dentistry in Porterville Can Help You Smile with Confidence
Few things leave a good impression like a genuine smile. If you find yourself reluctant to smile because of the way your teeth look, it’s time to consider doing something about it.
Dr. Steven E. Lewis is passionate about helping patients in our Porterville community experience the joys of a beautiful smile. With his many years of experience, he can combine effective dental techniques with an artistic touch to create a smile that is customized to you.
Ready to see the difference a confident smile can make in your life? Contact our office and schedule your cosmetic consultation!
CALL US: 559-781-0223 REQUEST APPOINTMENT
Can Cosmetic Dentistry Help My Smile?
Thanks to innovations in modern dentistry, there’s a cosmetic solution to almost any smile issue. From simple discoloration to complete tooth loss, it’s possible to rebuild your smile into something new and exciting.
When you come in for a consultation, Dr. Lewis listens carefully to your goals and concerns. A thorough examination will help him determine which procedure will be most effective, and he’ll work closely with you to build a customized cosmetic treatment plan.
What Cosmetic Services Do You Offer?
We provide a broad range of cosmetic services to help our patients enhance their smiles. Our services include:
Not Convinced Yet? 7 Reasons to Consider Cosmetic Dentistry
If you’re on the fence about getting cosmetic solutions, it’s worth noting that there are significant benefits beyond aesthetics. These are the top seven benefits you can enjoy from cosmetic dentistry.
- More Positivity – Having confidence in your smile makes it easier to smile more often, which helps to improve your mood.
- A Better Social Environment – Smiles are contagious, and when you smile more, people around you will naturally do the same!
- Stronger Relationships – People naturally respond to those with confident smiles by wanting to be around them more. Smiling more often can even encourage better communication between friends, family, and loved ones.
- Opportunity for Success – The boost to your social confidence a great smile offers can also boost your self-esteem, focus, and determination. This, in turn, can lead to greater social and career success.
- Improved Overall Health – Many cosmetic procedures improve health by adjusting the bite into a healthier and more efficient design. This allows for less pain, better function, and easier cleaning, all of which are important for your overall health.
- A Longer Lifespan – Your physical and emotional health play important roles in your longevity, and a warm smile has positive effects on both! Feeling good about yourself leads to less stress, and can help you to lead a longer, more fulfilling life.
- Aesthetic Appeal – Of course, feeling good about the way you look is an important benefit, and with the right cosmetic plan, you can enjoy a smile that flatters your features and positively reflects the inner you.
Will Teeth Whitening Work on My Smile?
It’s common for teeth to become dingy and less vibrant over time. Fortunately, when it comes to staining, teeth whitening provides a solution.
For most people, a professional whitening treatment can dynamically enhance their smile, sometimes by five shades or more. Whitening uses a specialized gel to lift stains built up below the enamel’s surface, revealing the natural enamel color hidden underneath.
Our office provides customized take-home whitening kits with Opalescence®, allowing you to enjoy powerful whitening where and when it’s most convenient for you.
Why Are My Teeth Stained?
Most teeth staining comes from foods we’ve consumed, such as coffee, soda, tomato sauce, and dark fruits and berries. Pigments leave stains in the semi-porous surface of your enamel, and over time, these stains conceal your true enamel color.
Another common staining factor is tobacco use. Both smoking and chewing are known to yellow the teeth, resulting in an unpleasant coloration.
Discoloration can also occur because of health issues or trauma to the tooth. This is usually in only one or two teeth, and can’t be treated by whitening. In these cases, the dentist may recommend a more permanent solution, such as veneers.
Is a Professional Whitening Kit Better than Over-the-Counter Whitening Products?
Whitening products you find in your local department store or pharmacy can be great for simple touch-ups, but when you’re dealing with years of set-in stains, professional whitening is second to none.
Our whitening kits use a professional-strength whitening gel, which is stronger than the whitening agents found in over-the-counter products. When used according to the directions, it can lift multiple levels of stains from your enamel. These kits also come with a whitening tray that’s customized to fit your mouth and distribute the gel evenly across your teeth.
Should I Get Veneers?
One of the most popular cosmetic treatments, veneers are as effective and versatile for transforming a smile. Thin shells of porcelain are affixed to the front surfaces of your most visible teeth, giving them a completely new appearance.
Porcelain produces the best results because it has the same luster and translucency of natural enamel, creating a lifelike effect and enhancing your aesthetic. Dr. Lewis customizes your veneer designs to suit your smile, and they are fabricated by a trusted dental lab.
Benefits of Porcelain Veneers
There are many advantages to veneers, including:
- Uniformity: Veneers fit over the most visible teeth in your smile, and can be used to conceal issues that create an uneven look, such as chipped or worn teeth.
- Customization: Each veneer is customized to your unique smile, so your teeth appear natural and flattering to your facial structure.
- Versatility: Veneers can conceal a broad number of dental issues, including chips, gaps, misalignment, worn teeth, uneven teeth, and discoloration.
- Gentleness: Veneers are permanently bonded to your teeth. Unlike other restorations, only a thin layer of your enamel is reshaped to allow for veneer placement, making them minimally invasive.
- Longevity: The bonding of veneers ensures that they aren’t easily knocked off or removed. If properly cared for, veneers can last a decade or more.
Caring for Your Veneers
Taking proper care of your veneers is essential to making sure they last. Veneers are fairly sturdy, but they can be worn down or dislodged if used harshly.
Be sure not to bite into hard substances directly with your veneers, such as carrots, whole apples, hard candy, or ice cubes. Never use your teeth to bite into non-food things, including to open bags, cut things, or chew fingernails.
Just like your teeth, your veneers also need daily brushing and flossing. Make sure to keep your regular dental appointments so Dr. Lewis can examine your veneers and help keep them in good condition.
Why Choose a Porcelain Crown?
Crowns serve several purposes, capable of protecting your teeth, providing strength, and helping to improve the function of your smile. Crowns made of porcelain have the added benefit of maintaining or even improving your smile’s aesthetic.
Like veneers, a porcelain crown is designed and shaped to match the rest of the teeth in your smile. They can conceal the same issues veneers while also providing strength to your teeth.
Benefits of Composite Fillings
Composite (white) fillings are gaining popularity each year, and with good reason. Made of composite resin, these fillings offer multiple benefits to those who need them.
Aesthetics: These fillings are shade-matched to the surrounding enamel, allowing them to cleverly blend in with the rest of the tooth.
Bonding: The composite material is especially good at binding to your natural enamel, making it easier to fill and shape them even in small spaces.
Health: Because of how well they bond, composite fillings can fit into smaller spaces, allowing the dentist to preserve more of your enamel.
Can I Replace My Metal Crowns and Fillings with Cosmetic Ones?
Many patients today are choosing to trade their old metal restorations for cosmetic ones. Restorations have a limited lifespan and need to be replaced eventually, allowing patients to make the choice to switch to a more appealing aesthetic option.
To determine if you are a good candidate, Dr. Lewis will examine the size, placement, and condition of your restoration. Fillings that are small to mid-sized can be good replacements, but a large filling or one in an awkward position may not be. Dr. Lewis will discuss all of this with you to determine which option is best. Be sure to bring it up during your next dental exam!
How Dental Implants Boost Your Smile’s Aesthetic
Few things have a greater impact on your smile than missing teeth. Fortunately, dental implants provide an effective long-term solution for patients missing teeth in their smile.
Implants can support a broad range of dental restorations, from single crowns to bridges to full dentures. When you receive an implant, Dr. Lewis can design and place a custom restoration to help complete your smile.
Each restoration is crafted to look, feel, and function like a natural tooth. The implant post is also permanent, so if anything happens to the restoration itself, replacing it is a simple process.
A Customized Smile Solution Made Just for You
Dr. Lewis and his team believe that your smile should be a reflection of you. We work passionately on every cosmetic service to ensure that it helps you to achieve your goals and produce a smile you love.
Find out how our cosmetic services can help your smile. Make an appointment to visit our inviting dental office today!
CALL US: 559-781-0223 REQUEST APPOINTMENT